Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Pizza Burgers

With all the good new recipes we've made this week I guess it was bound to happen. A dud. Tonight I had a craving for those old cafeteria pizza burgers. You know back in middle school when they gave you 1/2 a bun with meat and cheese on it. That's what I wanted. That's not what I got.

Here's what I did... see if you can make it better if this sounds good to you.

Ingredients:
Hamburger Buns
Ground Beef
Onion
Pepperoni Slices
Cheese
Davanni's Pizza Sauce

I browned the onion and ground beef in a skillet on high. Then drained any and all grease from the pan. I added the Pizza Sauce. Thinking that it was Davanni's it should taste even better, right, wrong. When it was mixed together and heated I placed the meat mixture on 1/2 of a bun. On top of the meat I sprinkled a little cheese (I used both cheddar and mozzarella). On some I put slices of pepperoni. Into the oven they went. Really just to crisp up the bun and melt the cheese.

I made a batch of french fries too.... now those were delicious. The pizza burgers on the other hand... ICK. I'm thinking maybe some brown sugar needs to be added but I didn't want to add it since Jerome usually loves Davanni's pizzas I didn't want to change the taste just in case he liked it. Neither of us really enjoyed it.

4 comments:

Trisha said...

Oh those Pizza Burgers! You may have had them with me. I don't know though...Dave used to make them for me. We just used Pizza Sauce in a jar and process cheese. Easy "kid" meal! :)

Kim said...

So did you mix the pizza sauce in a jar into the meat or just put it over the top?

Trisha said...

I think it was just pizza sauce that we spread over the bread!

Mel said...

I make pizza burgers using english muffins. I brown about 1lb of ground italian sausage and then pour pizza sauce in and heat it up. Then top each muffin half with sausage mixture, sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and bake till cheese is melty and brown. Yum-O!